Thursday, January 27, 2022

A Ten Year old Rebel

Part of my daily routines is to pick up my ten year old son at school in the afternoons, and it's a little disheartening to see how many of the parents wear their masks like good little serfs. The children are also required to wear a masks from age ten and up, which I find positively revolting. Even worse, the school administration have encouraged parents to vaccinate their children, and to have even younger kids wear masks. However, there are signs of hope even here.

It appears that my wife and I are not the only parents who were appalled by the school's recommendations. Some must have been just as vocal as my wife, and expressed their thoughts to the school board as well as to their children. This is evident in a change in tone by the school board, and by the fact that some kids don't wear masks, despite school policy.

My son can report of several kids in his class that do not wear their masks, and my son has now joined this group of rebels, so far without any protests from the teachers. My wife and I did not push this on our son. We've left it up to him to decide what to do. We don't want to push him in front of us in our personal crusade against mask mandates. However, we're not making any secret of our position either, and we are happy to hear that he's doing his little part in putting an end to the hysteria.

It appears that mask wearing is become a personal choice, also in schools. My son is enrolled in a private school, so the administration is necessarily more sensitive to parents' wishes than would be the case for a public school. But I see kids wearing their masks sloppily in public school yards when I pass them on my walks in our neighborhood. There's dissent everywhere, and teachers are accepting it without much fuss.

As an added bonus, my son is learning an important lesson. He's being trained in the subtle art of subversive action. He's developing a healthy skepticism and defiance that's likely to serve him well in life.

Mask of the beast
Mask of the beast

No comments:

Post a Comment