Monday, January 17, 2022

A Shift in Sentiment

Sick as a dog from the first two. Is offered a third one. Accepts it. Sick as a dog again. #CantFixStupid

I woke up this morning thinking I should post something like this on my Facebook wall. However, I've changed my mind. There's no point in trying to be clever. I have a lot of vaccinated Facebook friends, and they're not likely to be much impressed with me calling them stupid. Besides, there seems to be a shift in sentiment. The current madness is likely to roll by on its own.

Cognitive dissonance is on full display in the streets of Porto. We're back to seeing 80% of everybody wearing their masks. But there's something tortured in their eyes. It's clear that they know that they're being played. They are wearing their masks despite knowing that it's useless. Hence, they look away in shame. No-one confronts the mask-less with angry rants. The hobby fascists of yesteryear are long gone. 

My son and I went for our regular morning walk to his school. Seeing me mask-less at the gate, my Covid-survivor-friend decided to skip it as well. He too knows how pointless it is, so my only surprise with him is that he sometimes wears the mask anyway.

On my way home, I came across my brother in law who used to be a big believer in the importance of wearing a mask. However, he too has dropped it. Maybe my stubborn refusal to wear one has rubbed off on him. In any event, I was happy to see him more relaxed about it.

Back home, my wife told me that her cousin who works as a nurse had just posted a joke about herself taking the booster. It was a picture of a cured ham. Coming from somebody who used to call all her relatives to tell them to get vaccinated, that's quite a change.

With so much welcomed news within my own personal sphere, there really isn't any point in posting anything derogatory. There's no point in telling people "I told you so", when they are in the process of waking up.

The mask of the beast
The mask of the beast

No comments:

Post a Comment