Monday, July 19, 2021

Freedom Day

My wife asked my opinion on the decision in the UK to open up after 17 months of lockdowns. She seemed optimistic about it. Imagine if things could go back to normal here too? she said. However, I gave her my cynic view on the matter, partly to curb her enthusiasm. While I hope for the best, I can't say I'm all that optimistic.

"They're merely covering their asses for when the Delta variant blows out in the UK," I said. "Opening up now gives them an alibi. Instead of admitting that the vaccine made things worse, they can blame the rise in cases on the liberties they returned to the people. They can claim that it was a mistake to allow people to once again taste freedom, and that they will refrain from making this mistake again. They can then go on to lock down the economy extra hard for good measure."

I half expected my wife to protest my cynicism, but she didn't. She too has lost faith in government. She expects nothing but misery from them and their corporate backers. Still, we remain hopeful. Compliance and conviction are down. People are getting fed up

Apparently, I'm not the only one feeling cynical these days. This article in Zerohedge conveys my sentiment perfectly.

portrait photograph of a 55-year-old Johnson
Boris Johnson

By Ben Shread / Cabinet Office, OGL 3, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment