Sunday, April 18, 2021

Super Villain Meets Super Hero

My son and I went out for a walk today. It was too hot for a coat, so my only anti-mask symbols were my Mask of the Beast worn under my chin, my cane, and pilot sunglasses. However, that's all that it takes to keep the hobby fascists at bay. Nobody stopped to tell me to pull my mask up.

I was disappointed to see a clear increase in compliance with the mask wearing rules. The latest waves of propaganda and threats from the halls of government have staved off what looked like imminent collapse in compliance, at least for a few more weeks. I could almost smell the stench of fear and mistrust, with everybody eying everybody else with suspicion. In the eyes of many, I'm no doubt a villain for daring to poke my nose out above my mask, and one man may have noted me down as not only a villain, but a super villain.

A black guy living up the road, near Marquês, has always been a bit of an eccentric. Impressively tall and handsome, he likes to strut around in pimp outfits, sometimes pink, and other times white. However, he has recently taken up the habit of dressing up more like a super hero, with a blue cape and yellow overall, and it was him wearing this outfit that my son and I came across on our walk today.

The super hero, walking in the same direction as we did, eyed us from across the road. With his face mask correctly worn, his allegiances were immediately understood to be with government, and there was immediate tension between us. He, the super hero, and I the super villain were about to battle it out in the streets of Porto.

After keeping an eye with me for a while, the super hero crossed the street to walk immediately in front of my son and I. He walked deliberately slow to force some kind of response from me. However, I was not in the mood for an all out battle. I crossed the road to the other side with my son at my side.

Seeing that I had escaped his reach, the super hero took a few steps out into the road to make another crossing. But he changed his mind. He remained on the other side of the road, and soon after, when my son and I took a left turn, he continued straight ahead towards Marquês. So it appears that my outfit works fully as intended. Not only am I keeping hobby fascists at bay, even super heroes get cold feet.

Neither I nor my son found this episode in any way uncomfortable. Not even the indirect confrontation made by the super hero's approach concerned us. Had there been a confrontation of some kind, it would no doubt have been purely verbal, and probably quite entertaining at that. After all, how many times in our lives do we get to verbally battle things out in a super hero super villain setting.

Super villain
Super villain

No comments:

Post a Comment