Saturday, April 24, 2021

Toning Things Down a Notch

I decided to tone things down a notch today when I picked up my son from music class. I left the mask of the beast in my pocket and put on a regular mask instead. Apart from that, I kept my outfit unchanged, and I retained my deliberate and self-assured style of walking. The goal was not to become approachable, but to be less obvious in my distaste for mask-wearing rules. I don't know the other parents, and I don't see any reason to be explicit about my views towards them.

Mask of the beast
Mask of the beast

The effect of this minor change in style was enlightening, and I think I'll stick to it from now on. I will only put on the mask of the beast in the off chance that someone tell me to pull my mask up. I can do this slowly and deliberately by putting the mask of the beast on top of the one under my nose. Double-masked, I can go over to the offensive individual and ask how I can be of help.

There's no reason to use the mask of the beast for any other occasions, because it turned out that I'm just as menacing looking with a regular mask as with the more explicit mask of the beast. People moved aside on the sight of me, and the parents by the door of the school shuffled to the side, with one eying me the way one would eye a dangerous animal in a jungle. I did nothing apart from taking up a relaxed and confident pose. There was nothing directly menacing about my presence. I greeted everyone with a polite good afternoon. I even pulled up my mask to cover my nose. Yet, the effect was there, and I rather enjoyed it.

Never mind the club, I'm just standing here waiting for my son
Never mind the club, I'm just standing here waiting for my son

No comments:

Post a Comment