Thursday, April 8, 2021

An Addictive Habit

I forgot to take my cane with me when I went out for a walk the other day, but this made me so nervous that I had to return home to get it. I felt naked without it, vulnerable to all the ills of the world. Then, as I grabbed my cane, I felt strength return. I was again in control of things. I could go out with confidence.

That's how addicted I've become to walking with a cane, and I take this as a good thing. I see the cane as a symbol of liberty, so I want to make it a habit to go around with it. The fact that this habit is addictive makes it all the easier to keep up. Furthermore, if others happen to try this out for themselves, there's a good chance that it will stick with them too.

So it appears that the challenge as far as this fashion statement is concerned is not to make it stick, but to make people try it in the first place. It's such an eccentric thing to do that very few will try it. However, I'm hopeful that there might be one or two other eccentrics in my neighbourhood, and that I will come across another cane wielding gentleman at some point in the not too distant future.

The eccentric with his cane
The eccentric with his cane

No comments:

Post a Comment