Sunday, April 4, 2021

Positive Messages

I haven't posted anything on Facebook since January, but today I broke my silence by posting a picture of Boris the butterfly. I tagged it with #resurrection to underscore the connection to Easter.

I have no plans to start posting regularly on Facebook, and I'm not going back to scrolling my Facebook wall either. However, I'll post these little messages every now and again as a counterweight to all the gloom and doom.

My wife, who still scrolls her Facebook wall, came across a particularly dark post this morning. Someone seriously put forward the idea that we should indefinitely extend the current mask wearing rules. The reasoning was that this would reduce the impact of the seasonal flu, and hence save lives.

The fact that this dark and humourless post was made by someone my wife thought reasonably intelligent made it all the more painful to see.

I didn't ask my wife how many likes the offensive post had received, but I assume it got quite a few. My Boris the butterfly post has only received a handful of likes. But that's not the point. A positive message tends to stick, and if there's something subversive about it as well, it can linger even longer. Advertisers do this type of thing all the time to sell products, and we might as well use this same trick when selling our ideas to others. 

Boris the butterfly
Boris the butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment