Thursday, April 29, 2021

Is That a Prince I See in the Distance?

Here's the picture I'll post on Facebook on May 1.

Is that a prince I see in the distance?
Is that a prince I see in the distance?

It's of my stepdaughter on our balcony, and it contains several references to traditional May Day celebrations. Her white blouse is a reference to the May Queen and the flowers are a reference to spring celebration. The picture also contains a reference to a series of paintings made by Eilif Peterssen on commission by Constance and William back in 1903.

Gujamar's song. Foto: Signe Dons
Gujamar's song. Foto: Signe Dons

Some of my family members may pick up on that reference, but even if they don't they'll get the message, and so will my other Facebook friends. We celebrate May 1 the traditional way. All the references are of the Mediterranean, of tradition and of flowers. Not a single reference is given to the labour movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment