Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Obrigado

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.

- Pericles

This quote is as true today as it was when it was first recorded more than 2000 years ago. We mustn't assume that our desire to be left alone is going to be honored by our fellow men. Hence, we have to keep up our defenses and hit back at anything that might threaten our autonomy. However, this doesn't mean that we must join in the circus that is party politics. There are more effective ways to keep people in their place than casting a vote every four years.

A strategy that I'm using myself is to come up with ways to signal my intention to stay firm in the face of pressure to conform. When people stated to shout at me for not wearing my mask correctly, I adopted a hostile dress code to keep people at a distance.

Dandy thug dress code
Dandy thug dress code

It worked as intended. People stopped shouting at me for exposing my nose.

Things have improved a lot since then, so I've relaxed my style. But I still wear my mask of the beast whenever a mask is required. I don't want anyone to think I'm on board with the nonsense.

Mask of the beast
Mask of the beast

I've been wearing T-shirts with death related themes through the summer to signal my dislike for the vaccine. But I've stopped doing that now. I figure a more positive statement is appropriate now that the mask mandate has been relaxed, so I make a point of dressing exactly the way I used to dress before the hysteria started.

The response to my return to the old normal has been varied. No-one shouts at me, as they would have done a year ago. But many look at me with suspicion. They tuck their masks extra snugly over their noses as they pass me by. It's a deliberate statement on their part, signaling hostility towards the fact that I don't wear my mask as recommended. However, I'm deliberately misinterpreting their signals. I respond with a friendly thank you and have a nice day.

This stunt has two sides to it. One being a reference to pre-hysteria times when a friendly good day was part of normal social interaction whenever two strangers caught each other's eyes. Thank you would also be uttered at any opportunity to signal appreciation for even the smallest of considerations. Bon dia and obrigado was heard everywhere. It's been a central part of Portuguese culture since forever, but now somewhat lost to hysteria. Taking up this habit strengthens my signaled desire to return to the old normal.

The other aspect of this is to make clear that submission to recommended rules does not make anyone superior. The ones adhering to the rules are serfs. Making a deliberate gesture out of it is nothing more than deliberate submission. It merely establishes a hierarchy in which I'm the sovereign and they are the serfs. I'm fine with that. I can even appreciate it, and I acknowledge this with a friendly obrigado and bon dia as I pass them by.

Reeve and Serfs.jpg
Reeve and serfs

By anonymous (Queen Mary Master) - this file: scan dated 2009, uploaded (without identification of the source) 12 May 2010 by Ann Scott (medievalminds.comReeve-and-Serfs.original1.jpg), Public Domain, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment