Saturday, July 30, 2022

My Wife's Welfare Cheque

My wife received a welfare cheque in the post this morning. This illustrates how beneficial it is to have at least one foot in the parallel economy, and how silly it is to have a system that hands out money based solely on registered incomes and registered wealth.

My wife and I are not poor, yet we get money from the state because the state doesn't know the true state of our finances. They don't know about my wife's extra incomes from running a small operation centred around machine knitting. They don't know about my fixed income from Norway, and they don't know about our unregistered savings.

A statist may argue that we should disclose all our finances so that the state can make the proper calculations, but that would be silly. Besides, I never asked for the hand-outs that we're getting from the Portuguese state and indirectly from the Norwegian state through subsidies of my family's publishing business.

The statist may insist that we refuse the hand-outs, but that too is silly. To refuse it would expose the fact that we can do without. The only rational action is to accept it.

This line of thinking infuriates statists like my younger brother and his wife who meticulously register everything with the state. The reward for this silliness is that they end up paying my bills. They work long hours at the office, and they cannot even afford a week or two on vacation abroad.

The truth that they refuse to accept is that the system is fundamentally unfair because it takes money from some, only to hand it over to others. The only rational way to act within this system is therefore to register as little as possible.

1959 sovereign Elizabeth II obverse.jpg
Sovereign

By Heritage Auctions for image, Mary Gillick for coin - Newman Numismatic Portal, Public Domain, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment