Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Using DuckDuckGo

A young female MP collapsed while holding a speech in Austria, only to recover a few minutes later. It was captured on camera. I found a video snippet of the event on YouTube. She starts off clear headed and calm. Then, as if out of nowhere, her eyes glace over and she sinks to the floor. However, I would never have found the snippet if it hadn't been for DuckDuckGo.

Google gave no hits. I tried all sorts of combinations, but nothing came up. So I decided to try this other search engine, and it gave a list of relevant hits, including the YouTube clip. Clearly, Google is no longer what it once was.

My guess is that Google deliberately filtered out the relevant hits. They have a substantial team of censors, and the current surge in Sudden Adult Death Syndrome is no doubt something they want to suppress. Many are rushing to conclusions when they see healthy people drop to the floor for no obvious reason.

Unfortunately for Google, rumors about people keeling over sparks curiosity. It's the sort of thing people search for, so when Google's team of censors hide this kind of information, it drives their users away. If Google keeps suppressing the truth, they'll soon discover how quickly popularity can fade.

It's easy to go to "settings" on a browser to change the default search engine. It takes half a minute. I've changed my default search engine to DuckDuckGo, and I suspect I'll be keeping it this way for a while before I consider changing my default setting again.

2018 Eva Maria Holzleitner (39466339270) (cropped).jpg
Eva Maria Holzleitner

By SPÖ Presse und Kommunikation - Tagung SPÖ Parlamentsklub, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment