Friday, October 1, 2021

An Anarchist Argument

I have many self declared radicals in my circle of acquaintances. Given a chance, they will talk fondly about anarchy, and how they stood up to authority in their youth. They still break the law whenever it suits them. Double parking and running stop lights whenever it's safe to do so is part and parcel of their radical nature. However, when it comes to government advice, all of them comply. I know no self declared radical who hasn't taken the vaccine.

This has led to some strange conversations where it dawns on the radical that they may not be as radical as they thought, and that anarchy might be more than merely breaking a few laws now and again. The other day, I was asked about my vaccine status by one of my radical friends. I told him that I was unvaccinated. To explain my position, I added that the vaccine wasn't for me or my family, so we decided against it.

His reaction was telling. He clearly expected a different answer. My wife and I don't look remotely radical, so he must have assumed that we're a typical well behaved couple, always abiding by the rules.

What followed was a monolog on his part. First, he made the claim that the pandemic will only go away if we all vaccinate ourselves. Then, he went on a tirade about trusting the health authorities and complying with rules. Finally, he concluded with a reference to anarchist philosophy, presumably to underscore his radical nature and intellectual schooling.

I smiled and told him that I was familiar with the saying. I'm an anarchist after all.

This threw him completely. There wasn't any more he could say, so we went our separate ways. I didn't get the opportunity to explain myself any further, and that was just as well because I wouldn't have had much to say. I would have repeat my position. The vaccine doesn't look like anything meant for healthy people like myself and my family.

However, there's an anarchist argument that I could have used. It's a variation on this quote:

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”

- Robert A. Heinlein

In the case of vaccines, my argument would go a little like this:

“I'm an anarchist. If the state tells me to do something, I will do so only if I have to or it makes sense to to do so.”

The vaccine argument makes no sense. The same goes for mask mandates, lockdowns and social distancing. The proper anarchist response is therefore to comply only when we have to.

Me, enjoying a cup of coffee
Me, enjoying a cup of coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment