Monday, October 24, 2022

Writing Romantic Fiction

I've always wanted to write fiction. However, I've found it surprisingly difficult every time I've tried. There's too much to keep in mind, too much to invent, and too many details.

There's also the issue of style. Is the story primarily meant as entertainment or as a statement? If I want to make a point about something, I might as well write a blog post, and if it's mere entertainment it becomes tedious to write. So, I gave up on the idea, thinking that it's just a childish fancy that I'm better off ignoring.

But then it struck me the other day that I should simply base my novel on things I know a fair bit about. I'm pretty well versed in history, and I know a good deal about Norse mythology. Why not mix the two?

This has the great advantage that all sorts of details are available for me to use. I don't have to invent anything beyond the main characters and their struggles within the historic and mythological backdrop.

As it turned out, I was able to sketch out a rather elaborate story in no more than two days, and I've now started the process of fleshing out the story into chapters.

I've already written two chapters, and I hope to add a new chapter every day or two going forward.

This means that I'll spend less time writing posts on this blog. However, there will be all the more to read for those who don't mind reading light romantic literature. The interested reader can follow me at "Dreufey's Song", where the book will grow chapter by chapter until completed.

Idunn and Bragi by Blommer.jpg
Idunn and Bragi

By Nils Blommér - uploaded from Wikipedia.org, Public Domain, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment