Tuesday, October 4, 2022

The Final Solution

My wife didn't like my simple plan either. The possibility of getting into an argument with tax authorities about whether or not the money coming to us from Norway is a gift is so unappealing that she thinks it better to do some manoeuvring in Norway to avoid the tax.

That would involve my father, who can send gifts to my son without prompting a tax claim. I don't much like the idea of having to involve my father in this. He's ninety years old, and not one I'd rush to for help. However, this trick will save us about €4,000, and save us any chance of being found to have skirted the rules. I've therefore decided to let my father into this, and he seems positive to it.

The idea would be to have my children send my father the appropriate amount and have him forward it as a gift to my son. This type of transactions is legal and tax free in Norway. It also conforms to Portuguese rules related to tax free gifts.

An open window
An open window

No comments:

Post a Comment