Saturday, August 20, 2022

Frugal for Everyday Life and Extravagant for Parties

One of my ancestors was a very rich man. So much so that his wealth lives on today, spread over hundreds of individuals who have him as an ancestor. He in turn had learned a thing or two from his ancestors.

His grandfather had a partner who went bankrupt due to excessive consumption. The moral and mental decay that came with overconsumption was frightening to behold. It left a lasting impression on the rich man's grandfather, and may have been the inspiration for his repeated mantra:

Nøysom til hverdags og storslått til fest

Which is Norwegian for "Frugal for everyday life and extravagant for parties".

The man lived in a mansion. He wasn't timid or modest. Quite the opposite. He was something of an eccentric show off. However, he was always frugal in his daily dealings. Extravagance was reserved for parties.

The lesson learned from the overconsumption by an ancestor's partner wasn't to stay away from extravagance entirely, but to reserve it for special occasions. This became a rule that was passed down through generations. Constance and William practiced it, and so do I.

The rule has two immediate advantages. It makes parties all the more enjoyable because they contrast all the more with everyday life, and it saves us money.

It should be noted that parties in Norway back in the days often lasted a few days. The parties my ancestor was referring to would today be considered get together events. Friends and family would hang around a few days at his residence, and they would be treated to all sorts of luxuries.

The impression left on his guests would be that of great wealth and generosity, which could in turn be used in business dealings. The man was at one point able to procure a loan from the king of Sweden based on the good impression the king had of him after having stayed a night or two at his place.

The rule yields an optimum return on investment. Not only does it give us a sense of luxury at parties while saving us money in the daily, it yields a lasting impression on everyone invited.

Having gone through a long frugal period myself, I've made a point of treating my family and myself to some luxury consumption every now and again. But I've stayed away from extravagance because my finances haven't been able to support it. However, things have improved, and we're upping our game a notch.

My wife and I rented a luxurious place out in the country for a week. We invited my adult kids in Norway over to the place. We bought plenty of beer, fine wines, and good food.

The arrangement was a great success, and I got a strong feeling my kids see me in a different light. No longer am I the father that threw in the towel and hid away in Portugal. I'm increasingly the patriarch. My wife is increasingly the lady of the house. Our ten year old son is very much impressed.

My parents and my brothers are coming down to Portugal in September, and I'm planning a repeat. We can afford it. This year looks set to be the year that my wife and I rise a notch or two in social standing among my peers.

Nygaard, William Martin og Constance f, Wiel, 1914.jpg
Constance and William

Av Gustav Borgen – Norsk Folkemuseum: image no. NFB.49970, via digitaltmuseum.no., Offentlig eiendom, Lenke

No comments:

Post a Comment