Thursday, September 21, 2023

A Cool Summer in Porto

This summer has been the coolest I've experienced in the 17 years I've lived in Porto. Temperatures have rarely strayed from around 24 C, and we haven't had a single period of more than three days with temperatures above 30 C. We've also had more cloudy and rainy weather than usual.

Two years ago, I made a similar observation, and I predicted that this weather pattern was going to remain with us for years to come. So far, I've been correct in this. However, I was criticised by local friends for saying that this weather pattern was something new. What has been unusual is the sweltering warm summers I experienced during my first ten years in Porto. Last year was neither cold nor cool. It was in their opinion a normal summer. But I'm sure my friends will agree that this summer was no warmer than the last two summers we've experienced, and that's an interesting point in itself because Porto is located on Iberia, a place foreign news outlets have pointed to as nearly boiling.

If there has been unusually warm summer days in Iberia, they have been poorly reported on here in Porto, and they cannot have been in this part of the peninsula. In fact, Portugal as a whole has had a remarkably good year for wine growers, so the sweltering hot and dry weather must have been confined to Spain.

Greta Thunberg 01.jpg
Greta Thunberg

Eco-anxiety - By Anders Hellberg - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment