Monday, January 9, 2023

Ignored Insights

It happens quite often that I suddenly realize the full significance of an insight that I've had for years. I've learned something, only to ignore it for a long time before taking full advantage of the insight. I'm not sure why I have this tendency to ignore a useful insight, or why I sometimes even forget them, but they usually come back to me at moments where I let my mind go without any particular focus. A walk around town, a nap, or some other restful activity brings these insight back.

One such insight is the benefit of cumin on my digestion. I learned about this when I first met my wife some fifteen years ago. I told her I had to be careful with heavy meat dishes because my intestines can't handle them. I get all clogged up. My future wife told me then that my problem was hardly unique, and that the remedy for this problem is to mix some cumin into the food.

Sure enough, cumin did the trick. I could eat the meat dishes without any problems. But I didn't fully absorb this insight. I didn't make it a habit to include cumin in my regular diet, so when my weak digestion became increasingly weak over the years, I kept getting constipated. I had for some reason associated cumin with heavy meat dishes rather than my digestion. When I started getting constipated almost regardless of what I ate, it didn't at first dawn on me that cumin would solve this problem.

This state of ignorance on my part persisted for years until I suddenly realized that I knew the remedy to my problem all along. All I needed to do was to eat a few pinches of cumin seeds every day and my problem would go away.

Happy about this discovery, I looked up the medical benefits of cumin on the web. Now that I knew for a fact that this particular remedy works, I was curious to know what more people had to say about it.

As it turns out, several other ailments can also be cured by cumin. I'm not much affected by these other problems, so I can't tell for sure if they work, but I've noticed some improvement that may be directly or indirectly due to the cumin and its beneficial effect on my digestion.

Cumin is used quite a lot in Mexico, India and the Middle East, and apparently for good reasons. The benefits of this herb has probably been known for millennia, but modern medicine has ignored it, and so did I for more than a decade.

A roast lamb dinner at Black Horse Inn, Nuthurst, West Sussex England.jpg
A roast lamb dinner

By Acabashi - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment