Sunday, November 7, 2021

In Tune with an Historical Norm

Life didn't always be as hectic as it is these days. The historical norm has been for people to refrain from labor whenever possible. Work was only undertaken when absolutely necessary, or the profits to be gained were substantial relative to risks taken. No-one worked for long hours for no other reason than to spend the money earned on frivolous luxury consumption, and only compulsory gamblers took on bets with low odds of success.

This is highlighted in this Zerohedge piece, and the sentiment reflected in the comment section is indicative of a change in attitude. People are fed up with the rat race and longing for something simpler. High taxes, vaccine mandates and high work pressure is adding to this desire for something simpler, but the real pressure may be more fundamental. We're not meant to work as much as many of us do.

My wife and I realized this relatively long ago, and a common project in our lives has been to restore the sort of lifestyle that was once the norm. We consolidated our savings, cut down on consumption, and prioritized simplicity rather than extravagance. Our lifestyle has in this way drifted towards something considered eccentric these days even if it has been the norm up through history.

A curious side effect of this is that I feel strangely in tune with my ancestry. Surrounded by antiques, I feel the presence of my forefathers. I can relate to the stories my father has recorded regarding their lives, and I think it natural to emulate them in my own life.

Inexpensive antique
Inexpensive antique

I think about them quite a lot. Not only their successes, but also their errors. I don't want to be swept away by a great wave while desperately trying to get my ship to safety. I don't want to see my fortune lost due to a failure to act in time. I want to succeed through timely investments and a focus on hard assets like land and gold, and I don't mind the idea of doing this over generations. I don't have to be the one that made it big. It's more important to me to know that my legacy will have a positive effect on generations to come.

This too is the way people thought about life in the past. We're intimately connected to our past and future. One generation follows another, and each generation has the dual responsibility of taking care of themselves and the coming generations. This is how families sustain success over generations, and to live life according to this recipe is wonderful and rewarding. Not only do we get to enjoy our lives in the present, we get the added satisfaction of knowing that future generations have been properly prepared and provided for so that our relative success and affluence can continue.

A bright future
A bright future

My present lifestyle wouldn't be the same without this kind of determination among my ancestors, and future generations are unlikely to succeed without a continued focus on prudent and intelligent use of resources. I have a lot to be thankful for, and I hope to install similar reverence in my descendants.

Nygaard, William Martin og Constance f, Wiel, 1914.jpg
Constance and William

Av Gustav Borgen – Norsk Folkemuseum: image no. NFB.49970, via digitaltmuseum.no., Offentlig eiendom, Lenke

No comments:

Post a Comment