Friday, March 26, 2021

The Network as Conveyor of Truth

I've stayed away from Facebook since January. I've neither posted anything nor read anything but a few notifications. I got myself entangled in one of the many tribal fights out there. Merely suggesting that there was something not quite right about Biden getting more votes than any other candidate in history, and Trump getting more votes than any sitting president, was too much for a lot of people to handle. I ended up sounding like some crazy Q or Blue Anon figure in the eyes of many.

I'm not blaming anyone but myself, though. I was pushing things too hard. I wasn't giving my friends sufficient time to digest what I was saying, and I was saying too much. I was also spending too much time scrolling through one stupid post after another, so it's been refreshing with a break. However, I can't resist the thought of making a post this coming Easter. I have a pet hate that I want to subvert, and I think Facebook is a perfect place to do this, provided it's done correctly.

The exercise will be something of an experiment in its own right. I will use some of my favourite spin techniques. I will gently reinforce an earlier message through a vague reference to it. The target of my post will be the miracle of Boris Johnson's epic journey into intensive care that happened to coincide with Easter last year. It has boggled my mind from the start that this miracle hasn't received more scepticism than it has, so I'm determined to do my bit to subvert the story. 

It's been about six months since I last vented some public scepticism towards the whole intensive care thing, so the idea has had plenty of time to diffuse into the minds of my friends. Many will have forgotten it. Others will have only a vague memory of it. I suspect that many are open for a gentle push towards scepticism, and I'll be happy to oblige.

I will post a single image of flowers, micro-composts, and a picture of Boris the butterfly, my cartoon character who represents the miraculous transformation of Boris the worm from a mere worm to a butterfly. Above it I will write a single word: Resurrection. This will be posted early Easter Sunday.

Some will take this as a reference to Jesus. Some will see it as just another cartoon. But some will get the message: Boris never entered intensive care.

Resurrection
Resurrection

No comments:

Post a Comment