Thursday, February 7, 2019

Pulling Investments Off the Table

Once I decided to evade my taxes in Norway, I had no choice but to pull my investments off the table. Everything had to be sold and transferred into the hands of others. The process was painful and depressing. I was not fully prepared to give up on Norway. However, as soon as the transactions were complete, I experienced a tremendous sense of relief. My ship had finally come in. The treasures were safely ashore and tucked away.

A wonderful benefit that comes with my current position is that I care much less about politics. I do not worry about tax rates. I do not worry about public debt. I do not worry about inflation. It does not irritate me that politicians squander money on idiotic projects. I can rest assured that it is not my money that they spend.

This does not mean that I do not follow politics. On the contrary, there are plenty of things I keep an eye on. This is because morality and economy are closely linked. It is possible to predict future economic growth based on the level of frivolity and hubris in society. This is an age old insight. When people believe themselves to be the only force in the universe, capable of making God like decisions, a great fall is about to happen.

History books are full of this. All empires have ended in disaster. At their peak, all empires turn to hubris and frivolity. Everything gets focused around control and trickery. Money is debased. Social engineering like the Inquisition or Eugenics become a thing. Identity politics and self centered obsessions like man made global warming are suddenly the main concern of everyone. Everything becomes centered around the artificial reality created in the minds of "intellectuals". The idea that nature may not care one bit about us, and will do its own thing regardless, becomes profanity of the highest order.

When such nonsense reach the sort of fever pitch levels that we see today, it's usually a sign that things are about to get nasty. Add to this that the Dow-Gold ratio is close to its historic highs, and it's clear that the odds are in favor of pulling investments off the table.

The fact that I had to take action early due to my decision to evade a confiscatory tax, may turn out to have been my lucky break. Being among the so called "rich" and therefore a target of confiscatory taxes, I had to do early what a lot of people will want to do in the coming years. With politicians pretty much out of control, policies that currently only apply to the "rich", will soon apply to the middle class as well. There will be a rush to the exit. Gold will go higher and stocks will go down.

When the Dow-Gold ratio goes below 7, I will start moving money back into stocks. My plan is to invest in the Portuguese stock market which is already down 60% in Euro terms from its peak 20 years ago. I Expect it to fall a further 50% over the next few years, which would bring it down to about 10% of its all time peak. In terms of gold, the stock market will be down a staggering 99% relative to its 1998 peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment