Tuesday, February 26, 2019

An Unexpected Bonus

To be a sovereign these days is very rare, so few know what to expect when steps are taken in that direction. I knew that my decision to stop obeying the taxman came with risk. I knew that he might decide to toss me in jail. He might even torture me, like he did with Odd Nerdrum. However, five years as a slave was just too much of a price to stomach. I would rather go to jail than spend that much of my life paying tribute to that most despicable of beings.

I pulled my savings out of Norway, I bought gold, and I bestowed my children with an early inheritance. I put myself between them and the taxman. Rather me in jail, than any of us having to slave for him more than absolutely necessary.

When my wife first heard of my decision, she disapproved. Like most people, she saw my action as criminal. By not paying my taxes, I was stealing from society. This is such a common error of thinking that I did not even bother to correct her. However, I pointed out that I was not stealing from the Portuguese state. I was stealing from Norway, a place I left ten years ago. I also pointed out that I was doing this just as much for the children as for myself.

She was not entirely convinced by this, but the idea must have grown on her, because she has become more affectionate. I have also become more affectionate towards her. The full consequence of sovereignty is dawning on us both. We no longer have a fatherly state watching over us. We are no longer children of the taxman and his ilk. We take care of ourselves. We do as we please. The effect of this is that we feel more alive than ever. We also feel the full weight of responsibility towards ourselves and our family. We own our destiny. That explains the affection. It explains why we feel so alive. I had not expected this to happen, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense.

1959 sovereign Elizabeth II obverse.jpg
Sovereign

By Heritage Auctions for image, Mary Gillick for coin - Newman Numismatic Portal, Public Domain, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment