Saturday, June 5, 2021

The Ridiculous Mask

Things are in flux as they always are. No habit or fashion ever remains in vogue for long before there's a change, and this goes as much for mask wearing as anything else. This means that any message we send out regarding the state of the world must also change, or else loose its power to impress, amuse and entertain.

When mask wearing was a new and novel idea, promoted as a precautionary measure and entirely voluntary, I refused to wear it. As it became more and more mandatory, I came up with more and more outrageous ways to wear it. I eventually adapted a Dandy-thug style. Then I toned it down a bit as people became less fanatic. And now I've found another way to wear my mask, more in line with the fact that people are waking up to the idiocy of the mandate.

I wear my mask folded double so that it never covers both mouth and nose. I sometimes wear it under my chin. I sometimes wear it over my mouth with both chin and nose exposed, and I sometimes wear it over my nose with my mouth and chin exposed. This last option looks ridiculous, and has the effect of confusing people. They don't know how to react. They are used to masks worn properly, under the chin or just below the nose. Never do they come across someone wearing the mask above their nose.

When I feel in a particularly good mood, I move my mask about with my finger. I wear it under my chin for a while. I move it up to hide my mouth when I feel that's appropriate, and I move it up above my nose when I feel like taking the Mickey out of someone. This is especially tempting when I see prim and proper Faucists coming down the other way. Let them see for themselves how ridiculous the whole thing is!

I haven't been stopped in the street for my improper mask wearing ever since I adopted my current Dandy-thug dress code. However, if anyone stops me, I will no longer aim to scare them. I will instead push my double-folded mask up above my nose. Then, when they object, I'll pull it off my nose and across my mouth instead. I'll make a ridiculous show of it before I continue my walk.

Dandy-thug dress code
Dandy-thug dress code

No comments:

Post a Comment