Wednesday, May 5, 2021

My Facebook Wall

I've made it a rule for myself not to scroll down my Facebook wall. However, I made an exception to this yesterday. I was curious to see if anything had materially changed during my four months of absence, so I scrolled down to see what people are talking about. After a few minutes of scrolling, it was clear that nothing has changed. I was also reminded why I stopped scrolling my Facebook wall back in January. It's a loud place with a whole lot of noise. It's stressful. The stupidity that people share is sometimes stupid to the extreme. I learn things about people that I'd rather not know.

One post in particular caught my attention. A childhood friend from primary school shared her appointment details for a vaccine shot that she'll get on Thursday, and it was clear from the way she posted it that she thinks that this is required for normal human interaction. She hasn't seen her grand-daughter for over a year due to the plague. The woman is 56 years old! She's fit as a fiddle. Yet, she has denied herself the pleasure of being with her own family for a year? How stupid is that? I used to like her. I thought her rather clever. But now I know that she's nowhere near as clever as I thought, and it's sad to see.

Conversely, I guess she must be thinking me a lost cause as well, because I made the mistake of posting some political posts back in early January, pointing out some of the less convincing aspects to the US election. So there we are, once good friends in blissful ignorance of each other's private views, and now divided by a mutual feeling that the other one is a moron.

From this little misadventure, I've once again got it confirmed that there's no point in scrolling down my Facebook wall, and even less of a good idea to share anything even remotely political. I will stick to the rare lifestyle post, vaguely subversive for being nothing but a nice picture with optimistic references to tradition, religion, liberty, and the beauty of everyday life.

Facebook f logo (2019).svg

By Facebook, Inc. - http://en.facebookbrand.com, Public Domain, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment