Thursday, September 5, 2019

The 5th Empire - A Letter from the Taxman

I got a letter from the taxman today. It was a registered letter, so I had to give my passport number and sign for it before I got to open it.

I half expected a big claim. I never paid any taxes on the sale of my house in Norway, and their outstanding claim on that sale is in the tens of thousands of Euros. However, the letter only mentioned a minor claim on something that happened after I sold my house. It's only a few hundred Euros, but I see no reason to pay it. A payment might open for the bigger claim farther down in the taxman's pile of claims. Far better then to have them preoccupied with the smaller claim, which is so small that I doubt they will pursue it any further.

But in the event that they do decide to go after this claim, they now have my whereabouts confirmed. They can send someone over to get me and send me to Norway to stand trial.

This does not scare me the least. Norway is not a very oppressive nation. It does not send tax evaders to prison to rot for all eternity. The court will give me the choice between paying my dues or go to jail for a few months. Considering that Norwegian jails are quite comfy, especially for non-violent people like me, I will probably opt for the jail term. Far better to have them pay my expenses than me paying their's.

With not a single property registered in my name, and with no income, there is nothing that the taxman can get their hands on. For this reason, I find it very unlikely that anyone will come knocking at my door. But if they do, I'm fully prepared. I've been conscripted before. That time was for a full year in the Norwegian navy. I came out all right from that experience, so I don't think I'll suffer much from a similar experience. Especially since this time will be shorter and more comfortable.

Aiga mail inverted.svg

By US DoT - AIGA - AIGA, Public Domain, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment