Thursday, October 19, 2017

My Unemployed Friend

I live in Portugal.

There are a lot of bars and cafes in this country. I don't know why. It's just the way it is. Culture I guess.

Walking my son to school in the morning, we pass about ten bars and cafes all together. That's a lot for a ten minute walk.

Some of the bars have a regular clientele. I recognize many of them on my way. They are always sitting in the same place, having the same drink and snack as always.

One of these guys like to sit on a bench outside, smoking a cigarette. He's a young man. Not very bright by the look of him. But what do I know. He might be a genius. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Since my son and I keep walking past this guy, we've come to greet him whenever we see him. The usual "good morning", "good day" thing we do here in Portugal.

I've noticed that he sometimes run errands for the bar owner. Every now and again he's busy helping out with something.

There's plenty of little things that need to be done, and this guy seems to be helping out whenever there is a minor task to be done. He's there when the bar opens, and I guess he's there when they close too.

I don't think he's employed by the bar owner, though.

The thing is. Portugal has a minimum wage law. The bar owner would have to pay much more than the guy is worth if he were to employ him, so I guess they have come to some other arrangement.

My guess is that the guy gets a few free beers and maybe some left over food to take with him home at the end of the day. He might even get a little cash in hand whenever he does something particularly useful.

That's how it is to be at the bottom of the income ladder. A formal work contract is only for higher value workers. The low income guys have to work without a contract. Alternatively, they have to stay at home with mother, drawing minimum benefits from the state.

That's just the way it is.

WPA Art Poster, Work Promotes Confidence.jpeg
Work promotes confidence

By Federal Art Project - This image is available from the United States Library of Congress's Prints and Photographs division under the digital ID cph.3b48918. This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information., Public Domain, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment