Sunday, June 18, 2023

When Opportunity Knocks

Great opportunities don't come along very often, but we do come across some in the course of our lives. However, many either don't recognize the opportunities for what they are, or they don't have the means to capitalize on those that cross their path.

A common mistake, especially among young people, is to mistake a mere coincidence for an opportunity, and fire off all our dry powder in order to take part in it. My meeting with Mr Cork a few years back was of this kind. However, I realized that the prices of his forests were too high. His offer was not sufficiently good to make it worth the cost.

But now it appears that I've come across a real opportunity, and true to form, it took me a few days before I realized that this might well be it. A cousin of mine is selling his shares in our family business back in Norway, and the price at which he's willing to sell looks likely to be low. He appears to be in money trouble, and he has to take whatever offer he's given. With our family business being something of a legal minefield for people outside our family, and most of our family members neck deep in debt, I'm pretty much the only significant buyer around.

A lot of things still have to be figured out, but it appears that my son here in Portugal is soon going to be one of the twenty biggest shareholders in the largest wholly family-owned company in Norway. This is only possible because I've recognized the opportunity for what it is, and I've kept my savings in gold, safe from inflation and readily convertible to cash.

1959 sovereign Elizabeth II obverse.jpg
Sovereign

By Heritage Auctions for image, Mary Gillick for coin - Newman Numismatic Portal, Public Domain, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment