Saturday, January 18, 2020

The 5th Empire - Stating the Obvious

One of the best things about being a citizen of the empire is the sense of genuine love, enthusiasm and goodwill that comes with it. I really do wish the best for everybody, and this fills me with warm positive energy. Furthermore, I feel no shame in being honest, because nothing good ever comes from telling a lie or hiding the truth. I speak my mind freely. Not with anger or resentment, but with a genuine desire to clarify whatever misconceptions there may be inherent in the conversation. This saves me from a lot of energy draining soul-searching and agony.

When I'm out with people, I listen to what they have to say. I ask them what they do for a living, what interests they have and what they do to fill their lives with meaning. Some are materialists, eager to tell about their latest travels and purchases. Others seek meaning in help and care. I have no issue with either approach. I'm no materialist myself, but I see nothing wrong in seeking pride and joy through material wealth. Nor do I see anything wrong in dedicating a life to the service of a greater good. However, life decisions are sometimes misguided, and when I sense that this is the case, I'm clear about my views. I do not praise people for their decisions simply to make them stay comfortably in their delusion.

When someone say with pride that they work for the CPS, I respond with an "ouch", or "uff da", depending on what language the conversation is in. This response comes like a reflex. I can't really hide it, nor do I want to. I see no reason to praise someone for working in an organization that is known to use force against the innocent. However, I don't see any reason to elevate my dismay any further either. I'm always assuming that bad decisions boil down to a misconception. I don't assume ill will or anything evil about people. My response would be "ouch" even if I happened to talk to the pilot who dropped bombs on an orphanage in Libya back in the days.

A tax collector will also hear me say "ouch". So will a police officer, and any kind of bureaucrat. There's no point in hiding my dislike for these professions, and it's not like it's hard to defend my position. If someone asks me why I said "ouch", I'll tell them that the organization in question is known to use force against the innocent. This is a known fact, so no-one can really protest my moral dislike of the institution. All they can do is to defend the institution as somehow producing more good than evil. But I never escalate the conversation when this happens. I know that an escalation at that point is pointless and counterproductive. It would only serve to entrench the misconception already present in the other person's mind. Far better then to leave the topic for something else.

If pressed about my position, I say that things should be voluntary. Coercion against those who have harmed no-one is immoral. This too, I state without any kind of shame or hostility. I'm not trying to be better than anyone. I want others to be better than they are. I want them to let the idea of liberty grow in their minds. Those who want to help people should do so in a profession where coercion makes no part of the equation. Those who want to serve and protects should do so with a private security company. Those who want to make money should do so without insisting on state subsidies.

For those willing to listen, I point out the great personal benefits of being part of the empire. Genuine love and goodwill towards all is a great thing to feel, and quite the opposite of the hostile anger that comes with party politics and other activities where one group tries to subjugate another.

Orange Dining Room.jpg

By Stilfehler - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment