Saturday, February 3, 2018

Refugees in Porto

I live in Porto, Portugal. I can highly recommend the place. People are friendly and the cost of living is low. As of late, there's been a large influx of foreigners to Porto. I'm no longer unique in having settled here from abroad.

Many of those coming to Porto are in fact refugees. However, they are not from Syria or North Africa. They are from places like Brussels and Paris. Things have gotten so bad in those places that many no longer feel safe, and they leave for the relative safety of Porto. In my limited circle of acquaintances, I know two such refugees. They are both Jewish, and they are both from Brussels. They have taken the decision to leave their homeland for something better. They have left Brussels for good.

The fact that refugees arriving from outside Europe are causing internal displacements is something that is rarely mentioned in the media. The total magnitude of the problem is therefore something we can only guess at. However, from what I can gather, the problem must be significant.

Porto, Praça de Almeida Garrett (10).jpg

By Lacobrigo - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

No comments:

Post a Comment