Saturday, November 14, 2020

Protesting Impolitely

Back when masks were optional, I made a point of protesting politely. Not wearing a mask myself, I made excessive manoeuvres in order to avoid those voluntarily wearing a mask. However, now that masks have been made mandatory, in large part due to the tacit approval of the weak and fearful, I've started protesting impolitely. I wear my mask under my chin, and I don't go out of my way for anyone.

The result of this is interesting. Others who protest like me walk past me, sometimes with the customary Portuguese greeting of "bon dia", "boa tarde" or "boa noite", depending on the time of day. There's a sense of community in this, and it gives strong associations to pre-covid normality. The civility of the past is being remembered and carried forward by us.

However, those genuinely frightened by the scare mongers look at me and my fellow protesters with fear. They see us as lepers to be avoided at all cost. They make the same wide circles that I did back when masks were optional, and I can honestly say I enjoy the reversal of roles. Me and my fellow lepers walk tall and unhindered down the side walk. We greet each other and exchange knowing looks of approval while the weak and fearful scurry to the side, afraid of looking their fellow men in the eye.

My guess is that it won't take long before the tide again goes out for the mask wearers. Who wants to be a scared little rat when they just as well can be among the living?

The mask of the beast
The mask of the beast


No comments:

Post a Comment