Sunday, November 19, 2017

My House in Norway

So it looks like I sold my house in Norway only weeks before the Scandinavian housing bubble popped.

House prices in Norway have gone down about 10% since I sold. Adding to this that the Norwegian Krone is down about 10% relative to the Euro, the fall has been a brutal 20%.

What's interesting to note from my own experience was the fact that the bid disappeared completely for a short while, just when I tried to sell the house. There was a flash-crash-like absence of bid. Then there was a return of buyers, followed by the real crash that started several weeks after I sold my house.

The experience was spooky and nerve wrecking. I knew I was dealing with a bubble, and I knew I could not ride it out. I was pressured by the taxman to sell. There was a lot of money at stake.

Luckily for me, I was ahead of the herd by a few weeks.

Back in 2004 when I bought my house, there was a similar absence of bid, and I took the opportunity to get my house on the cheap. However, that quiet period did not precede a crash. The house prices continued up.

It appears that I lucked out in both 2004 and 2017.

It is also clear that a sudden disappearance of bid is no guarantee for a subsequent crash.

NorthYorkHouse2.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment